Try this original Goulash recipe....great taste !
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Dredge beef in flour; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Melt salted butter in a oven or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 7 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan.
Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in paprika and vinegar; cook for 2 minutes. Return beef to pan. Add the tomato, caraway seeds, and bay leaves; cook 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup water, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes. Add potato; cover and cook 1 hour and 15 minutes or until very tender.
Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and juice.
Remove the bay leaves